Pages

January 6, 2014

Good Morning Class!


Tomorrow is the first morning class of 2014 - and I gotta tell you that days have been counted. I love all my classes, but mornings are my favorites. There's just no better way to begin the day! Hand on barre, breathing into the music, elongating limbs, balancing body and mind, pirouetting and jetéing across the floor, feeling alive... It's all that and so much more. I love getting corrections (and praise) first thing in the morning. I love that the first people I communicate with are ballet people. Even when I'm so tired that I should bring a coffee thermos instead of a water bottle. Hmm... There's an idea! Speaking of tired, it's almost bedtime. One of my resolutions for this year is to sleep more (and to dance better). So, my ballet bag is packed, flatties have been washed, new favorite leos bought, the alarm set, and I am as ready as can be. Bring it on! 

9 comments:

  1. Great resolutions to keep in mind! I wrote a few resolutions as well, namely to start judging my progress on myself, not anyone else. I have evening classes all week, and morning class on friday, which being a morning person is always my favourite too. At my studio it's in combination with those training towards a career in dance so the class has a much different vibe than the after work crowd (e.g. me). Happy Ballet New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicola! I like your resolution. It really makes no sense to compare your progress with anyone else. Especially in an adult class when there's so much variety in backgrounds and physical abilities. Most of my classes are mixed anyway. We have professional ballet teachers taking class, as well as young talent. It's always interesting to observe different dancers!

      Happy Ballet Year to you too :)

      Delete
  2. Have fun! (And I will definitily steal your new year's resolutions, they seem to make sense.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I have a hip injury that is slow to heal I have been off for about 3 months and will definitely be dancing out of my comfort zone when I get back to the barre. It is the BEST most challenging exercise ever and I so look forward to getting back to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch, that sounds bad... Glad to hear that it is healing. Be patient and don't expect too much in the beginning. It takes time for the body to ease back into ballet! But I suppose you know this already... Wishing you a speedy recovery and lots of challenging classes (in the best way possible). Have a great New Dance Year!

      Delete
  4. Happy new year for you, too!
    Morning classes are my favs, too - they have such an atmosphere of professionality and dedication. I also like the sunlight-flooded studio in the morning. My Saturday morning class is the best way ever to start the weekend! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne! We haven't had any sun-flooding in a long time, just grey and rainy skies. But class itself always makes me feel cheerful :) Enjoy your Saturday mornings!

      Delete

To That Special Ballet Teacher

To that special ballet teacher, who not only teaches you about technique, but helps build your confidence, nurtures your inner artist, ...